Wellington water utility customers may notice a slight chlorine taste and odor in their drinking water from Saturday, Sept. 1 through Sunday, Sept. 23, as the result of a temporary change in the water disinfection process.
During this period, the disinfection process will change from the normal combined chlorine/ammonia treatment to a free chlorine treatment. Periodic use of this temporary treatment process is recommended by the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services and the American Water Works Association as a precautionary measure to ensure that water remains free of bacteria. These temporary conditions will not cause adverse health effects.
Due to this temporary change, specialized users of water, such as tropical fish owners, residents with pools, businesses, hospitals and blood/dialysis clinics may need to make adjustments to maintain their present water quality parameters. Customers may also notice additional fire hydrant flushing by Wellington’s Water Utilities Department personnel during this period. Flushing ensures the free chlorine residual reaches all portions of the distribution system.
This process will be discontinued on Sept. 23, and treatment will revert back to the normal combined chlorine/ammonia process.
For more information about Wellington’s water, visit www.wellingtonfl.gov, go to the “Departments” tab and select “Utilities.”
For more information, contact Water Treatment Facility Supervisor Sean McFarland at (561) 791-4037 or Village Engineer Bill Riebe at (561) 753-2466.