Wellington water utility customers may notice a slight chlorine taste and odor in their drinking water during the period of Monday, Aug. 12 through Sunday, Sept. 1. This will be the result of a temporary change in the water disinfection process.
During this period, the water disinfection process will change from the normal combined chlorine/ammonia treatment to a temporary free chlorine treatment. Periodic use of this process is recommended by the Palm Beach County Health Department and the American Water Works Association to ensure that water remains free of bacteria. It will not cause adverse health effects.
Due to the temporary change in the disinfection process, specialized users of water, such as tropical fish owners, residents with pools, businesses, hospitals and blood/dialysis clinics may need to make adjustments in order to continue to maintain their present water quality parameters.
Customers may also notice additional fire hydrant flushing during this period. Flushing ensures that the free chlorine residual is reaching all portions of the distribution system.
To learn more about the village’s water, its water quality report is posted at www.wellingtonfl.gov. Call Karla Berroteran-Castellon at (561) 791-4037 or Bill Riebe at (561) 753-2466 with questions.