To maintain high water quality in Wellington’s water distribution system, the village’s water treatment plant will temporarily modify the disinfection process used to treat drinking water.
The water disinfection process will change from a combined chlorine treatment to a temporary free chlorine treatment from June 12 to June 26. Periodic use of this temporary treatment process is recommended by the health department as a precautionary measure to ensure that water remains free of bacteria. The water plant will also increase hydrant flushing during this time.
Customers served by Wellington’s water treatment plant may notice a slight chlorine taste and odor in drinking water during this period. These temporary conditions will not cause adverse health effects. If you are especially sensitive to the taste or odor of chlorine, keep an open container of drinking water in your refrigerator for a few hours to allow the chlorine to dissipate.
Users of home dialysis machines, owners of tropical fish, and managers of stores and restaurants with fish and shellfish holding tanks are advised to seek professional advice. The method for removing free chlorine residuals differs from removing chloramine residuals from tap water.
For more info., call Water Treatment Facility Supervisor Karla Berroteran at (561) 791-4037 or Utilities Director Shannon LaRocque at (561) 791-4008.