Wellington Girls Soccer Team Falls To Boca Raton 3-0

Wellington's Abigail Bryan takes a shot on goal.

The Wellington High School girls soccer team hosted perennial power Boca Raton High School on Thursday, Dec. 21 and were shut out by the Bobcats 3-0.

With the loss, the Wolverines fell to 8-3-1 on the season. The match was not short of offensive play, despite the score. Wellington pressed the action during the entire match, but could not capitalize by finding the back of the net.

Thirteen minutes in, Boca scored its first goal. Both teams pushed the action in a game riddled with fouls and bookings throughout. The Bobcats felt the pressure from a strong Wellington offense, controlling possession and threatening with a potential score. A quick counter by Boca, with a cross into the Wellington penalty area behind the Wolverine defense, notched the 1-0 lead. Boca forward Diana Martin struck the ball by the Wellington keeper from just a few yards out.

The goal seemed to spark the Boca squad, as they continued to pressure the Wolverine defense, forcing Wolverine goalkeeper Alexa Kovi to make four big saves to hold the one-goal deficit heading into the break.

Near scores were the story for the Wolverines most of the night against the tough Bobcat defense. Wellington had its first real chance just after the break when they got a breakaway through the Bobcat defense, but the speedy defenders cleared the ball. The Wolverines’ second chance came minutes later when Samantha Sullivan launched a shot from about 25 five yards out that just missed on frame, passing over the cross bar.

Samantha Jenkins nearly scored for Wellington off a free kick from about 30 yards out, but it bounced off the bar. Lauryn Auger leaped up for a header that momentarily looked like a sure goal, but the ball sailed inches wide of the frame.

After the Wolverines appeared to control the later part of the first half, a quick counter by Boca resulted in the team’s second goal. The Bobcats took advantage of a deflection that was struck on frame. Kovi got a hand on the ball to deflect the shot, but an aggressive Bobcat offensive front struck the ball back into the net to take a 2-0 lead into halftime.

Both teams fought back and forth. Chances were created by both offensive units. Wellington passed the ball well but could not crack the Boca defense. The Bobcats grabbed the third goal of the game with under 14 minutes remaining. A foul gave the Bobcats a free kick from about 26 yards out. The ball was crossed and struck from the back side behind the Wellington defense to give the Bobcats the 3-0 lead, which would be the end result.

The Wolverines headed into winter break 8-3-1 on the season, but they are likely still to contend in the post-season.