Local Realtor Sharon Watson Gives Back To Those Who Serve

(L-R) Sharon Watson, Heather Powell, military veteran Thomas Coleman and Kathleen Williams.

Sharon Watson, a local real estate agent, has donated $40,500 in commissions back to veterans and service people since 2017.

Watson, a top-rated relocation specialist at the Keyes Company in Wellington, has partnered with Homes for Heroes, a national nonprofit program that makes it financially easier for service people to buy, sell and refinance homes.

Those eligible for the benefits are all ranks of active military, reserves and veterans of all service branches; law enforcement, nurses, doctors and other healthcare providers; pre-K, elementary, secondary and post-secondary teachers; and current and former firefighters, paramedics, EMTs and all other first responders.

Watson donates 30 percent of her commission at closing to the Homes for Heroes Foundation, and 83 percent of what she donates on every deal goes directly back to the hero buyer or seller in credit or cash at closing. The other 17 percent is distributed by Homes for Heroes to families in need across the United States and used to administer the program.

Watson said that this program is near and dear to her heart. She comes from a family that serves as military, police and teachers and knows the need for helping these professionals.

“I just love to give my heroes their checks at closings,” she said. “It makes me feel like I am doing something good for people who devote their lives to helping others.”

Watson’s friend and colleague Kathleen Williams is a Homes for Heroes-approved mortgage lending specialist with Home State Bank, and she contributes to the program by donating the fee for the appraisal for buyers and refinances, which adds an additional $500 in savings.

The Homes for Heroes program started after 9/11 to help give back to police and firefighters when buying or selling homes and has since expanded to military and other service fields.

To learn more about the program, visit www.herohomesandloans.com, or contact Sharon Watson at (561) 267-0004 or sharonwatsonbiz@hotmail.com.