Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Incorporated made history on June 6 when it chartered a new chapter serving Wellington and the western communities. The Alpha Alpha Upsilon Omega Chapter is the first African American organization actively involved with community service in the Village of Wellington.
Carolyn Gause Randolph, regional director of the South Atlantic Region, was the chartering officiant. The chartering ceremony was held in the grand ballroom at the Wellington Community Center. A total of 52 college-educated and professional women became chartered members.
Prior to becoming a chartered chapter, this group of women formed the Crowned Pearls of Wellington Interest Group and set out to address needs among the disadvantaged black and brown populations in the western communities.
“Our mission is to cultivate and encourage high scholastic and ethical standards, promote unity and friendship among college women, to study and help alleviate problems concerning girls and women to improve social stature, to maintain a progressive interest in college life, and to be of service to all mankind,” Chapter President Geneva Pettis-Hassell said. “We are committed to helping each other and positively impacting the communities in which we live and work.”
Despite the pandemic, the Crowned Pearls of Wellington was able to serve the community by hosting and assisting with providing food for healthcare professionals at Wellington Regional Medical Center and Palms West Hospital, voter registration efforts, volunteering with Feeding South Florida food drives, and collecting and distributing toys and backpacks. The group also hosted a virtual college fair, supported a fundraising effort to raise money for historically Black colleges and universities, and mentored students participating in the Village of Wellington’s Students Working to Achieve Greatness (SWAG) program.
The group’s volunteer and community efforts are consistent with the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority’s motto, “Service to All Mankind.”
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Incorporated was founded on the campus of Howard University in 1908. Today, there are more than 300,000 members and 1,025 chapters worldwide.