WHS Wolverines Lose On The Road At South Fork 32-3

By Gene Nardi

The Wellington High School football squad traveled to South Fork High School to take on the host Bulldogs on Thursday, Sept. 12 and fell 32-3 as rain fell from the storm-cluttered skies.

The Wolverines were coming off a 22-19 upset win over West Boca and entered the contest 1-1 on the season. South Fork, at 0-2, was looking for their first victory.

South Fork consumed nearly six minutes of the first quarter to drive in the first score. The point after was a run for two, making it 8-0. Wellington’s Ahmmon Richards returned the ensuing kickoff 90-yards for a touchdown, only to be called back on a block in the back penalty.

Wellington put together solid drives on offense but eventually fell victim to penalties and turnovers, while the Bulldogs did not receive their first penalty until the third quarter. The Wolverine defense held strong in the first half, shutting down South Fork on a fourth and five.

Wellington then mounted what would appear to be the equalizing drive to the South Fork 21-yard line but turned the ball over on a fumble. The Bulldogs responded with a big play to eventually run it in for a touchdown from a few yards out to close out the half with a 15-0 lead.

South Fork used its first drive of the second half to kick a 32-yard field goal and extend the lead to 18-0.

Wellington returned the ensuing kickoff 42 yards into Bulldog territory. The Wolverines mounted a drive to get inside the Bulldog 15-yard line on a 18-yard Cole Smallridge pass to Kyle Branch, where they settled for a field goal, cutting the Bulldog lead to 18-3.

But that would be Wellington’s first and only score of the game. The Wolverine defense could not stop the Bulldog power, as they pounded in two more scores to win the game 32-3. The Wolverine offense had a difficult time maintaining consistency in the second half in an attempt to close the gap.

Wellington, now 1-2 on the season, will host West Broward High School on Friday, Sept. 20 for the homecoming game at 7 p.m.

ABOVE: Alex Ng makes a 31-yard field goal in the first half.